May 20, 1979, I was ordained into the ministry in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) at Rosemont Christian Church in Dallas Texas. It was a day I shall always cherish.
Pictured, Counter-clockwise from the left front:
- Earl Waggoner, my father
- Polly Waggoner, my mother, just visible in white skirt
- Dr. Marcus Bryant, Professor, Brite Divinity School, TCU
- Rev. Robert Minshall, Senior Minister, Rosemont
- Rev. Sydney Carnes, Senior Minister, Oak Cliff Christian Church, Dallas
- Dan Bates, Rosemont Elder
- Hal Morris, Board Chair for Rosemont, just visible in green choir robe
- Rev. Robert Allen, Associate Regional Minister, Christian Church in the Southwest
- In the background: Skip Pendley, youth group member, and the Rosemont Senior Choir
Almighty God, in a rude and barbarous age you raised your deacon, Alcuin to rekindle the light of learning: Illumine our minds, we pray, that amid the uncertainties and confusions of our own time we may show forth your eternal truth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit. Amen.
It is amazing to realize this prayer is 1205 years old; it could have been written today. I hope and pray that I honor Alcuin’s commission to rekindle the light of learning, and illumine minds amid the uncertainties and confusions of our own time.